The Town of Cranberry Isles was incorporated March 16, 1830.
by Velma Teel
Years ago large sea going vessels came and went from the Pool, which is part of Great Cranberry. Also, some ship building was carried on at the Pool.
The beautiful island on which we now live is a product of much hard work and careful thought of our early settlers. The strength of character and the nobility which they possessed has become our treasured heritage.
Some owners of land on Cranberry were _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (sic.) across on the northern end; Aaron Bunker, one hundred acres on the southern end, and Widow Margaret Stanley approximately one hundred acres. Soon after, Cadillac's granddaughter, known as Mme. de Gregoire, received the grant of the eastern half of Mount Desert with adjoining islands.
Later, William Bingham of Philadelphia came into possession of more than half of Great Cranberry. Names prominent on the Cranberry Islands are: Gilley, Hadlock, Lancaster, Stanley, Bunker, Moore and Spurling.
The first board of selectmen of Cranberry Isles was composed of Samuel Hadlock, Enoch Spurling and Joseph Moore. This was the year 1830.
Spurling's Point on the northern end of Great Cranberry perpetuates the name of Benjamin Spurling. Benjamin was also storekeeper on Great Cranberry Island and some of his account books are still in existence. In the 1820's he brought to Philadelphia in the brig "Newtor" a considerable number Irish immigrants. His passenger list is still in existence.
The first permanent settler, however, on the large island was probably Benjamin Spurling who came from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, in 1768. He was an ancestor of the Spurlings in Cranberry Isles. John Stanley who died on Great Cranberry in 1790, was the ancestor of many families of the Stanley name throughout Hancock County.
The Book of Remembrance
Cranberry Isles, Maine
by Velma S. Teel 1960
Transcribed by Sarah Newell, summer 2000